When you reach your 50s, it's time for the heavy guns. We might be aging, but we are going down fighting. it’s all about hydration, repair and… did I say hydration? Drier skin – especially for those who have been battling oily skin woes for years – may come as a surprise. This is because your sebaceous glands start producing less and less oil. In addition, wrinkles become more prominent and the area around the eyes may hollow due to collagen and fat loss. With deepening wrinkles, sagging, and emerging red spots, we do need to be diligent with our skincare regimens.
These later decades are also when we start to own our age. And it is a great thing to embrace what our growth, development, and every darn wrinkle means. I think nature meant for us to evolve at this point in our lives, to develop compassion and empathy, and be less concerned about appearances. After all, women become more beautiful as they get older. Youth is just a different type of beauty.
The Best Natural Skin Products in Your 50s Should: Encourage Elasticity and Moisture
- Josh Rosebrook Moisturizing Cleanser ($27) is rich in antioxidants and botanical ingredients to protect skin’s delicate, oil barrier remains intact, while a host of moisturizers penetrate skin deeply, resulting in a bright, clear complexion.
- La Vie Celeste Exfoliating Mother Of Pearl Cleanser ($40) uses Mother of Pearl and pink and white clays to gently cleanse and exfoliate while giving skin a dose of anti-aging nutrients.
If you are finding that post-menopausal moisture loss is now an issue for you, it may be time to check out richer creams.
- La Vie Celeste Extra Rich Face Cream ($75 in the shop) contains ChroNoline, an active that is supposed to help the skin’s support structure.
- Royal Nectar Original Face Mask ($68) leaves a glow that doesn’t involve exfoliation and yes, it’s the one with bee venom and devoted fans among the British Royals. Anyway, it leaves the skin soft, radiant and hydrated.
Elasticity is the thing to start getting serious about in your 50s. Fifty-something skin needs a helping hand with a firm grip and skincare’s most recent breakthroughs come into their own with skin that needs some repair. Peptides and growth factors perform highly specific signaling tasks that give cells instructions to do useful things, such as produce more collagen.
- suki Healthy Aging Serum + Vitamin Peptide Complex ($50.95) is a lightweight, multi-vitamin complex designed to help promote healthy aging for all skin types, especially combination to mature skin. Resveratrol and vitamin C liposomes restore elasticity, while fighting free-radical damage.
- Your Best Face Control ($160 in the shop) not only has Relistase, based on a tetrapeptide that inhibits elastase and enhances the skin’s resilience, but also Syn-Hycan – another defyer of the dreaded droop – along with heaps of antioxidants.
- BRAD Biophotonic Essential Elixir Multi-Peptide ($95) does a splendid job of refreshing and plumping the skin; when used at night, it gives your skin a lovely rested look the next day.
- E'shee Clinical Esthetic Elixir of Life KI Therapy Serum ($189 in the shop) contains FGF growth factor, FAR ceramic powder, and this does a very good job of enhancing skin texture overall.
- AQ Skin Solutions Active Serum ($149 in the shop) and E’shee Clinical Esthetic Cellular Repair ($179 in the shop) contain growth factors that set about repairing wrinkles.
My personal opinion is that however tempting it is to want to strip away the signs of age, there is such a thing as too much exfoliation and a balanced and patient approach will go a long way to getting back our glow.
- The Ultra Clear Facial Cleansing System ($86) is for daily power brushing, one of the foundations of beautiful skin since facial brushing is a most effective form of daily exfoliation that removes debris and dead cells to keep the skin clear. The trick is to combine effectiveness with a gentle touch and the key to this is to ensure that the brush head has sufficient rotations.
- La Vie Celeste Restorative Exfoliating Gel Mask ($60 in the shop) is a powerful exfoliating gel mask that contains a 5% concentration of pure glycolic acid in an organic aloe vera base.
- Tilth Resurrect Eye Cream ($62) is another cream containing pro-elasticity ChroNOline, derived from a growth factor along with four versions of perfluorodecalin, an ingredient that dissolves and delivers oxygen to the skin.
- Your Best Face Correct ($150 in the shop) prominently features peptidesthat are most helpful for crepey skin and dark under-eye circles.
- AQ Skin Solutions Eye Serum ($99 in the shop) is helpful for a extra lift around the eyes.
The single most effective (non-invasive) lift for sagging skin in my experience so far is my LED device. Red and infra-red LED light help with crepey skin, roughness and plumping, while ultrasonic will help firm and lift. It is an investment in time as much as anything else, since it requires regular use. But it will help put time back on your side.
- Truth Renew Ultrasonic & LED Anti-Aging System ($109) and Ultra Renew Plus Ultrasonic LED ($159) will tackle facial lines, sagging, and dark spots such as hyperpigmention and age spots.
- Ultra Renew Sculpt ($129) is for for firming and lifting the body.
Best Natural Skin Products for Any Age:
Best Natural Skin Products to Use in Your 60s and Up
Best Natural Skin Products to Use in Your 40s
Best Natural Skin Products to Use in Your 30s
Best Natural Skin Products to Use in Your 20s