UPDATE: Read our 2014 Five Best with Matrixyl and Matrixyl 3000.
One of the most frequently searched terms on Truth In Aging is matrixyl 3000. This antioxidant is made by combining two peptides, palmitoyl oligopeptide and palmitoyl tetrapepide-7. It outperforms Vitamin C (and unlike some of the Cs, it doesn't irritate) by stimulating the matrix molecules - collagens 1,3, 4 and fibronectin to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. According to clinical trials, matrixyl 3000 led to a 33% decrease in wrinkle density, a 23% decrease in the volume of wrinkles and a 20% decrease in the depth of wrinkles.
The only problem is that this research was conducted by Sederma, the manufacturer of matrixyl 3000, and I haven't been able to find any independent research. Still, assuming that it is a good antioxidant, it is worth rounding up Truth In Aging's picks for the Five Best products that contain matrixyl 3000.
1. Bellaplex (usually $89, Bellaplex 1oz can be bought for $43 at Amazon.com). Bellaplex is another potion that keeps it simple. In addition to matrixyl 3000, it has Arguireline (for preventing expression lines), sodium hyaluronate (moisture retention) and DMAE (firming). A popular reader choice.
2. Isomers Matrixyl 3000 Rejuvenation Serum ($30). For a largely unadulterated matrixyl 3000 experience, it doesn't get much better than this. There is glycerin and linseed oil and not much else. For the full ingredients of this and the rest of the Five Best , scroll to the bottom of the page.
3. Your Best Face Correct ($150). Regular readers of Truth In Aging will know that YBF Correct is my new favorite eye cream. It has made a visible difference by eliminating some of the fine lines around my eyes. It contains matrixyl 3000, but doesn't rely on it. The other important anti-ager in Correct is spin trap, a clever little molecule that traps free radicals and stops them spinning out of control and causing havoc with your skin cells.
4. Nutra-Lift Rejuvenating Therapy ($51.30). Nutra-Lift has recently changed its formula for Rejuvenating Therapy to add in matrixyl 3000 for the first time. I haven't tried this, but based on reviewing the ingredients, I am sorely tempted to. Matrixyl 3000 is at a concentration of 5% and Nutra-Lift has also jammed in an impressive number of other good antioxidants including copper peptides, CoQ10, grape, tea and algae. There is also marine collagen.
5. Cellbone Super AOX ($72 but currently on promotion for $36 on Cellbone's website). I have had extremely enthusiastic reports from readers claiming great results with Super AOX. This seems to be a good one for men. It has a hefty 10% dose of matrixyl 3000. Plus there is 1% CoQ10.
Notable for its absence from Five Best products with matrixyl 3000 is Dermapril SP. While there are some good things about Dermapril, it loses points for having at least 20 filler ingredients that won't do much, if anything, for you and there is an onerous monthly payment scheme. I just don't think Dermapril SP reprepsents good value for money.
*Note that the new version of Mychelle Supreme no longer contains matrixyl 3000 (apparently because it didn't meet Mychelle's standards of hygiene), so we haven't included it here. Myself and a reader are currently testing the new formulation of Supreme and we'll report back soon.
Ingredients in Isomers Matrixyl 3000: Water/Aqua, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Carbomer, Polysorbate 20, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.
Ingredients in YBF Correct reverse osmosis water, licorice root extract, snap-8 (acetyl glutamyl hexapeptide-3), pepha-timp (polypeptide), cucumber extract, simugel (C16H34), syn-ake (tripeptide), haloxyl (hydroxysuccinimide, chrysin, palmitoyl oligopeptide (and) palmitoyl tetrapeptide-3), nutmeg butter, matrixyl 3000 (palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tetrapeptide-3), dimethyl isosorbide, alpha arbutin, cyclomethicone (and) dimethicone copolyol, ethyhexyl palmitate, spin trap (phenyl butyl nitrone), glycerine, l-proline, provitamin B5, raspberry seed extract, alpha lipoic acid, sepilift DPHP (palmitoyl-1, palmitoyloxy-4 proline), triglyceride,
paraben du, sodium hyaluronate, caffeine, cetearyl isononanoate, ceteareth-20, cetearyl alcohol, glyceryl stearate, cetyl palmitate, ceteareth-12, vitamin e, BHT, olive leaf extract, vitamin a, violet leaf extract, oakmoss absolute
Ingredients in Bellaplex: Purified water, sesame seed oil, glycerin, silicone, Argireline (acetyl hexapeptide-3), collagen, sodium hyaluronate, matrixyl 300 (glycerin butylene glycol, water, carbomer, polysorbate 20, palmitoyl oligopeptide, palmitoyl tetrapeptide-3), DMAE, aloe vera, alpha lipoic acid, polowax pastilles, PPG-2 myristyl ether propionate, methylparaben, propylparaben.
Ingredients in Nutra-Lift Rejuventing Therapy: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Matrixyl 3000 at 5% (Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 PAL KTTKS), Vitamin C ester, sea kelp / algae, liposomes, astaxanthin, grape seed extract, cetyl esters, nikkomullese, co-Q10, pycogenol, natural mixed tocopherals (vitamin e), anti-oxidant complex 14, natural firming complex (dmae, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C ester, & astaxanthin), fruit flower complex 12, herbal complex 30, plant derived polysorbate 20, hydroxyethyl-cellulose, hyaluronic acid, copper peptide, marine collagen, marine elastine, organic royal jelly, Mexican yam, green tea, active copper peptide , milk thistle, retinyl palmitate, ( vitamin A) ppg
Ingredients in Cellbone Super AOX: Water, Shea butter, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide & Terapeptide-3 (Matrixyl™-3000), Butyleneglycol, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Emulsifying Wax, Glycerin, Tea Tree Oil, L-Ascorbic Acid, Inca Inchi seed oil, Alpha Tocopherol, Lycopene, CoQ10,Comfrey Root Extract, Lemongrass Essential Oil, Rosemary Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol