No one wants shoulder snow (especially after reading Kate's explanation of the origins of the yeast feast on your scalp
), but who wants to be a slave to Head & Shoulders. For a natural alternative, we created a dandruff shampoo formula that also removes product buildup. I've been trying this out and my hair has never felt cleaner - a result that I attribute to the moringa oil
, an amazing natural cleanser. It also looks super healthy and somehow brighter.
All you need to do is get some shampoo as a base - preferably a simple botanical one without any crap in it. I used Aesop's Sage Scalp Cleansing Shampoo. To this, I added apple cider vinegar and apple juice for scavenging dandruff, moringa oil to add cleansing power and a huge number of nutrients for hair and scalp health, lemon juice as a buildup remover, and rosemary for its antiseptic qualities. So grab some sudser and follow our step by step guide:
1/4 cup shampoo
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 tablesppons apple juice
1 teaspoon moringa extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 sprigs chopped rosemary
- Pour 1/4 cup of shampoo of your choice as a base into a small mixing bowl.
- Apple cider vinegar removes dandruff. Add in one tablespoon.
- That pesky shoulder snow doesn't stand a chance with the addition of three tablespoons or apple juice (organic, of course).
- Blondes will be all the brighter for a good squeeze of lemon juice. Brunettes will enjoy the removal of product buildup.
- Finely chopped rosemary is a great antiseptic for a healthy scalp. You could substitute ground clove if you prefer.
- Whisk and transfer to a plastic bottle. I am so pleased with the results that I'll definitely be making this again.