Free shipping on all orders over $39

Natural hair color choices grow

Is a Solution for:
Dry or Brittle Hair, Limp Hair, Dull Hair
Reviewed by Marta May 20, 2012 13 Comments
A couple of years ago, a friend asked me what I thought of Naturetint, a hair dye. I took a look and found the ingredients to be hair-raisingly scary, including common colorant ingredients, PPD (para-phenylenediamine),  linked with severe allergic reactions, and resourcinol, which usually carries a sensitivity warning and is used at concentrations of less than 1%. At the time, I was hard pressed to come up with safer alternatives, but happily the natural colorant category seems to be growing and here are a few that are worth taking a look at if you are of the view that your tint isn’t worth dying for.

Tints of Nature is a UK company that recently debuted in the US. It has a range of permanent hair colors ($12.50 to $18) that will fill in between pricey salon treatments and are said to condition as they color. Tints has shampoos and conditioners as well. They are free from resorcinol, parabens, and ammonia. Organic botanicals include aloe, soy, wheat and grapefruit. There are 21 permanent colors with five being introduced this year. Tints of Nature claims that if properly applied, its natural color will last as long as the chemical ones.

Phyto Subtil Botanics and Subtil hair color were introduced into the US professional market in 2010. Subtil’s permanent hair color range has 12 shades (there are a lots of semi-permanent colors as well) that contain 15% to 81% natural pigments extracted from a range of tinctorial plants, including Indian and Brazilian wood, madder, broom, and calliopsis. Although not ammonia-free, concentrations are lowish at 0.76% to 3%. Subtil is free from phenylenediamine (PPD) and resorcin, while offering full coverage for gray and white hair. The key ingredient is Epaline, which uses pigments, low concentrations of ammonia and vitamin E.

Silk Degrees Botanical Hair Color by Pravana ($13) is a plant-based hair color treatment that claims to be more than a color refresher. It can by used on natural and color-treated to deepen shades. It will last through several shampoos before fading. Shades include Honey, Red, Copper, Platinum, Chocolate and Mahogany. It contains no ammonia, peroxide, or PPD. Silk Degrees contains keratin, silk amino acids, and (gluten sensitive people take note) wheat protein, cocoa seed butter, sunflower extract, and coconut oil, to add moisture, shine, and protection to the hair.

Whilst we haven’t reviewed the above, Surya Brasil's Henna Cream $11.99 has been tested by Leslie for TIA. It is about 90% natural, with the remaining 10% being synthetic dyes and preservatives. The product utilizes henna not as a dye, but as a conditioning agent. Of the synthetic dyes used in the product, the company has researched carbon-based dyes and says it avoids heavy metals, and only uses ingredients with the mildest properties. Surya Henna Cream is available in 15 shades, all of which are said to last seven to ten washes and is blendable, enabling other shades to be mixed. It is safe for use on chemically treated, color-treated hair and highlights and Suyra claims it provides gray coverage on the first application.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has tried these or has other recommendations to share.
  • December 1, 2015

    by Margaret

    Vegetal and No Limits both cover my grey but unfortunately only last for 3 washes. I am in the UK but I'm fairly sure Vegetal at least is available in many countries.

  • October 5, 2015

    by chris

    the tints of nature hair color seems to have the same bad ingredients as the naturetint brand.

  • April 30, 2014

    by Christina

    Hi Gerry. You might have some luck finding Subtil Botanics hair color on eBay:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBTIL-BOTANICS-PERMANENT-HAIR-COLOR-2-OZ-U-PICK-FREE-SHIPPING-IN-THE-USA-/230986027230

  • April 30, 2014

    by gerry

    Where can I buy Subtil Botanics color Dark Blonde #8 in Philadelphia or surrounding area? Had my hair done in Naples and can't find it here.HELP!

  • February 9, 2014

    by CatScholz

    could add links on where to buy these products? Thanks.

Join the discussion! Leave a comment below.

My Comment

Add a comment...

-or- Cancel Comment
* Required Fields
truth in aging's five best

Truth In Aging's Five Best

The very best to choose from for your skin concerns.

Read More

truth in aging videos

Truth In Aging Videos

Helpful how-tos and reviews from Marta and friends.

Watch Now

meet our contributors

Meet Our Contributors

The TIA community consists of our trusted reviewers.

Meet Them

be inspired

Be Inspired

Inspiring thoughts and women who are aging gracefully.

Read More

  Loading...