October is breast cancer awareness month, and there is no better time to focus on the ingredients in our skin care. All too often, anti-aging skin care products — even high-end products from well-known brands — contain harmful toxins and known irritants. At Truth In Aging, we believe that what we put on our bodies should be as important as what we put in our bodies. To honor the ongoing fight against breast cancer, we are spotlighting four skin care brands that all have one thing in common: Courageous women whose lives were touched by cancer, and who decided to channel their experience into developing natural, safe skin care products that work. Learn about their inspirational stories and about the products we proudly carry in the Truth In Aging shop.
Indie Lee's inspiration for her namesake collection came from her own personal tribulation: She conquered a life-threatening brain tumor, the cause of which was later believed to be environmental toxins. It became her mission to create "eco-chic" products that are made from quality, all-natural ingredients that are free of toxins, chemicals, parabens, phthalates, and synthetic fragrance. Indie Lee's luxurious products are 100% organic and celebrate "green glamour" with stylish, sleek packaging.
Products to try from Indie Lee:
- Indie Lee Calendula Eye Balm ($42) gently treats the delicate eye area, diminishing dark circles and increasing skin's elasticity with natural ingredients such as mango seed butter, calendula oil, beeswax and lavender oil.
- Indie Lee Squalane Facial Cream ($70) combines hyaluronic acid, olive-derived squalene and antioxidants such as avocado oil and carrot seed oil to moisturize and nourish skin while improving cellular function, skin texture and tone.
- Indie Lee Brightening Cleanser ($32) brightens skin with the natural antioxidant and exofoliator, strawberry oil. Impurities and makeup residue are washed cleanly away.
Britta Aragon, makeup artist and creator of CV SkinLabs, is a cancer survivor who was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma at age 16. She started CV Skinlabs to honor her father who died of colon cancer. All the ingredients in her line have been toxicologically reviewed, and CV Skinlabs formulations are especially kind to those with sensitive skin, eczema prone or recovering from treatments such as chemo. Each product in the range is based on the Tri-Rescue Complex, combination of Reishi mushroom, bisabolol (from chamomile), and turmeric (an antioxidant).
Product to try from CV Skinlabs:
- CV Skinlabs Body Repair Lotion ($36) is formulated with CV Skinlab's signature blend of actives — turmeric, alpha-bisabolol and reishi mushroom — to accelerate the healing process of skin. It also contains St John's Wort oil and ginger root to soothe sore skin and reduce inflammation.
Celebrity makeup artist Rose Marie Swift discovered her profession brought with it an occupational hazard when she became sick as a result of daily contact with the multiple toxins in color cosmetics. She was inspired to launch her own line of makeup that focused on natural ingredients and yet would not compromise the professional results she was looking for. The RMS Beauty line focuses on clever multitaskers that include certified organic ingredients that are beneficial for your skin.
Products to try from RMS Beauty:
- RMS Beauty "Un" Powder ($34 in the shop) softens skins and and minimizes appearance of pores and excessive shine. This 100% white silica translucent finishing powder will leave skin with a smooth finish.
- RMS Beauty Lip & Skin Balm ($25) contains organic, natural ingredients such as coconut oil, shea butter fruit, jojoba seed oil, argan oil, cocoa seed butter and gotu kola to heal, protect, hydrate and smooth skin.
- RMS Beauty "Un" Cover Up Concealer ($36 in the shop) is a lightweight yet hydrating natural concealer that contains natural ingredients such as cocoa seed butter and rosemary to promote healthy skin. It covers imperfections and adds radiance without a heavy finish.
Tricia Trimble founded Suntegrity in honor of her mother who passed away from skin cancer. Every product comes with a reminder: "Suntegrity was made in honor of my Mom and all of those who lost their lives to skin cancer. May you use this product and smile in their memory." Suntegrity takes a holistic approach to its mineral sunscreens, which are packed with antioxidants that improve their effectiveness at sun protection and also offer anti-aging benefits.
Products to try from Suntegrity:
- Suntegrity Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen and Primer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($45 in the shop) moisturizes, hydrates and protects your face against UV damage with non-nano sized zinc-oxide, organic ingredients and antioxidants.
- Suntegrity Natural Mineral Sunscreen for Body SPF 30 ($24 in the shop) is a chemical-free and cruelty-free sunscreen that contains anti-aging antioxidants and provides broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with 20% non-nano zinc oxide.
- Suntegrity 5-in-1 Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen ($45 in the shop) contains antioxidants such as astaxanthin to fight free radical damage and zinc-oxide to prevent sun damage. This fragrance-free tinted facial sunscreen hydrates and primes while it protects the skin.