We all have to deal with our own particular skin care concerns, but Mother Nature also has a hand in affecting our beauty regimen. Depending on the climate in which you live, you'll encounter environmental challenges that require a targeted approach to anti-aging. Here, we break down the different types of climates and recommend the most effective solutions for keeping your skin rejuvenated and healthy-looking.
Characteristics: High humidity, heavy rainfall, warm temperatures, strong sunlight
Your Concerns: If you live in a tropical climate, your trade-off for postcard-perfect beaches is contending with oily, shiny skin, breakouts and unruly hair. You'll need lightweight skin care products that do the job without a greasy residue and hair products that tame frizz without heavy build-up.
• Arcona Toner Tea Bar ($42) — A rich facial cleansing and toning bar formulated with black, white, and green teas for an antioxidant effect and witch hazel as an astringent.
• La Vie Celeste Eclairage Restorative Serum (98.50 in the shop) — Lightweight and fast-penetrating, this non-sticky oil-free serum is suitable for both day and night.
• Mukti Botanique Conditioner ($48 in the shop) — This chemical-free conditioner contains avocado, macadamia and safflower oils and conditions without weighing the hair down. It detangles and leaves hair soft, full-bodied, shiny and manageable.
Characteristics: Hot daytime temperatures that may drop drastically at night, low rainfall, strong sunlight
Your Concerns: If you live in a dry and arid climate — or in an overheated New York City apartment — you know only too well how dry, hot air will wreak havoc on your skin and hair. Your beauty routine calls for heavy-duty moisturizing for dehydrated skin as well as deep-conditioning for parched hair.
• Snowberry Nourishing Rich Day Cream ($96) — An anti-aging facial moisturizer that absorbs well while it nourishes, smoothes, and revitalizes dry skin.
• Arcona Wine Hydrating Mask ($38) — A moisture-binding mask containing hyaluronic acid, shea butter and wine in a clay base. It revitalizes, repairs and firms the skin, as well as stimulates cellular renewal and reduce wrinkles.
• Yarok Feed Your Ends Leave-In Conditioner ($19.80) — This nourishing spray, composed primarily of organic oils such as jojoba and olive oil, protects hair against damage from heat-styling and blow drying.
Characteristics: Extremely cold temperatures; long, dark winters; low precipitation; strong winds
Your Concerns: The U.S. recently experienced a polar vortex that gave us a blast of arctic air like we hadn't seen in years... or ever. But those who live in a polar climate year-round know that products to soothe and moisturize dry, rough skin and chapped lips are a constant necessity.
• Red Flower Lymphatic Phytopower Sea Cleanser and Masque ($42 in the shop) — A light, creamy facial wash that cleanses the skin without drying. Boosted with powerful antioxidants and anti-aging ingredients, it also doubles as a masque.
• Your Best Face Private Reserve Antioxidant Oil ($75) — This facial oil improves skin's suppleness, speeds healing and improves skin's elasticity. It can also be used on other parts of the body and is great for adding shine to hair, treating dry scalp and using pre- and post-shaving.
• RMS Beauty Lip & Skin Balm ($25) — This versatile balm supports natural skin functions for a visibly healthier appearance and will heal, protect and hydrate skin while softening fine lines. Use it to nourish and soften skin on lips, underneath the eyes and on cuticles.
Characteristics: The highland climate depends upon the elevation, with temperatures dropping and precipitation increasing the higher your location.
Your Concerns: Since weather conditions of mountain climates can vary from one place to another, your best bet may be to look for powerhouse products that are suitable for all skin types.
• PureCeuticals Pumpkin Enzyme Cleanse ($33) — This wonderfully scented facial wash gently removes surface impurities and excess cellular build-up with potent antioxidants. Perfect for all skin types, even sensitive.
• Your Best Face Restore ($120 in the shop) — This serum contains vitamins, natural brighteners, antioxidants and skin soothers to help diminish dark spots and improve overall complexion. Suitable for all skin types.
• ReLuma Anti-Aging Moisturizer: Original Formula ($85) — A powerful anti-ager with growth factors and amino acids that improves skin's color, tone and texture and diminishes wrinkles. Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive.